Thursday 5 May 2011

Spiced Snowflake Doughnuts


Well this is a post on behalf of my husband, who likes to try his hand at the occasional Donna recipe (usually the sickly sweet ones!).
He is a prolific Doughnut eater and so was super excited to see these little morsels of sugary goodness get a feature in the Autumn 2011 issue.
I personally would have gone for the Italian Doughnuts, but he wanted to try something a little simpler for his first time.

The majority of the recipe was quite easy, though a little time consuming, definitely for a rainy weekend with lots of time on your hands, which are frequent where we live.

After lovingly and painstakingly, kneading for 10 minutes, and cutting precisely and rising for what seemed an infinite amount of time, they were almost ready to fry.

Then tragedy struck.



I am mostly to blame (as Sweetyboy kindly pointed out) as I had placed them down on a low table since I was making dinner, and there was no room on the bench.
They had risen beautifully, and looking oh so delicious, when Miss Three spied them.
Over half were promptly squashed flat, and I am sad to say, did not rise again.
If grown men cried over doughnuts, I have no doubt Sweetyboy would have shed more than his share of tears.
They did puff a little in the frying, but were no where near the puffy deliciousness of the other non-squashed.

These doughnuts have a very yeasty flavour, which is not unpleasant with cinnamon and sugar, but a little over powering when combined with the ginger and sugar.
I am sure we will make these Doughnuts again but maybe not this variation.

The finished product!

They did taste better than they look (and excuse my messy house in the background!)



Issue 56, Page. 158

2 comments:

  1. Love that you can see an ice cube tray in the background, for some reason that tickles my funny bone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I said 'ignore my messy house!' :)

    ReplyDelete