Thursday 5 May 2011

Basic Vanilla Pastry

Here is the pastry recipe, as promised!

Before this recipe, I was always afraid of making my own pastry. I had heard that it was finicky, time consuming, and really not that much nicer than store bought pastry.
I tried several times to make my own pastry the 'old fashioned way' (without a food processor) and failed miserably.

This recipe is quick, easy and so delicious you will never want to buy store bought pastry again!

Just a few important tips: (Most of these points are mentioned in the recipe, but I think they are so super important I am going to mention them all again :)

  • Use iced water (just as she says!). My friend showed me the easy way, small jug, water, ice cubes. simple. This advice after several attempts at partially freezing the water in the jug and it taking FOREVER and then forgetting about it so it was rock hard. Haha!

  • Make sure your butter is straight out of the fridge

  • Don't put in all the water Donna says. I just slowly add water until the dough in the food processor forms a ball and then I stop adding water immediately.

  • This is just me, and I know people have been making pastry for years without modern technology, but save yourself the tears and don't even think of making this pastry without a food processor. If you have and it was a success, good for you, you are a far better cook than I.

  • I roll my pastry out between two sheets of glad wrap. It is so easy to work with this way.


Happy pastry making!

P.s. A special shout out must go to my good friend Megan, who without her faithful support I would never have even attempted to make pastry ever again! She walked me through every step that first successful time and I owe her a debt of delicious gratitude <3


Issue 38, Page 118

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I am a bit bitter about the whole 'making pastry the old fashioned way' fiasco, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh if only I had a food processor...... Maybe the mothers day fairy will leave me one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have a mix master, do you think I could make this pastry with the bowl of the mix master, or would it be too small?

    ReplyDelete