Friday 29 April 2011

Caramel Pear Pie


The pie special in Donna hay magazine issue 38, is my go-to for a warm winter desert at the moment. I have made quite a few of them now and this one is definitely a stand out.
I must say it does generally turn out looking just like Donna's, though I always cook it longer than she says, until the top of mine is all lovely and brown like Donna's is in the picture.



Due to recipes failing in the past I have been to nervous to take it out of the oven at the time she says because it looks a little sloppy and not set. I am quite notorious for over cooking things though!
I haven't deviated from the recipe too much. A friend tried to make hers cook faster and added almond meal. I thought it was delicious, but I will let her tell you about it!
She also gave me the idea to add Black Strap Molasses. Just 2 Tbsp added to the golden syrup because it is super strong!
I loved it! But others preferred it the regular way, so each to their own.



I used a heart shaped cookie cutter for the decoration around the edge and just cut the hearts in half long-ways.

Donna Hay Magazine
Issue 38, Page 124.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhh that looks YUM!! I think that might have to be one of my next attempts.... Though I always get put off by having to make pastry, is it as bothersome as it sounds?

    ReplyDelete